The Volunteer Coordinator, Claire Nichol, is responsible for recruiting, training and managing the volunteers at Number 3. Our volunteers are active throughout Perth and Kinross and provide support to many aspects of our work, the main areas being:
Befriending – meeting someone on a one-to-one basis and enjoying regular social activities.
Social Groups – supporting a small group to enjoy socialising in the local community.
Special Interest Groups – supporting social interaction and expression through creative arts (e.g. a music or painting group).
In addition, we also use volunteers to support our quiz nights, film nights, pool evenings, games group, relaxation group and walking group. We also have volunteers who help out with our Saturday drop-in days. There are new social events starting all the time, so new volunteer opportunities are always available.
What do we expect from volunteers?
- An interest in helping people to get out more and learn new skills.
- A sociable, outgoing and friendly nature.
- A regular, but not necessarily lengthy, time commitment.
- A tolerant, non-judgmental approach.
- A willingness to learn.
What can volunteers expect from us?
- Regular management support.
- Regular group support.
- Expenses paid promptly (including mileage allowance of 45p per mile).
- Opportunities for personal development.
- Fun – it is important to us that you enjoy your volunteering experience.
All volunteers are given induction training, which is divided into two sessions. The first session looks specifically at Autism (what it is, communication issues etc.). The second is concerned with the practical side of volunteering at Number 3 (confidentiality, boundaries, health and safety etc.).
In addition, volunteers will be given the opportunity to develop their skills through further training. This may be internal training or external courses provided by relevant professionals.
Anyone interested in volunteering at Number 3 should contact Claire Nichol on email@example.com and arrange to come in for an informal chat.